5 Thoughts on Becoming an Author?
This is a question I asked myself about 2 years ago. Had no idea how to do it! Had no idea of the process. I have mentioned in previous conversations that I pray about everything. So, I took it to prayer, asking for the appropriate doors to open for me to be able to become an author and publish my own book! Just the sound of that, is exciting! Your own book! We all have a journey. We all have a story inside of us. We all have something that, when shared, can inspire, and encourage someone else. So, what is the hold up? Sometimes it’s that conversation in between our ears. The doubt, the lack of knowledge, the fear, and so on. Well, I am here to tell you that I experienced all of that, and then some. However, at some point I remembered a phrase I heard from Joyce Meyer “Do It Afraid.” So, I did! Here is the journey:
What do you have to say?
· What is your journey? What is it that you have to say? How will you format your story? I always suggest to just start writing. Don’t go back and make corrections or rewrites on the first attempt. Just write. Resist the urge to correct grammar, spelling, etc. Try not to interrupt your thought process. Once you have completed writing your story. Then go back and make your corrections, adjustments, spelling, grammar, etc.
How can your journey assist other?
· Your story should not be so specific to you that others may not be able to connect. It’s a fine balance. You want to share the emotion of your journey while making it relatable to the reader.
How long will your book be?
· 50 pages? 150 pages? How long will your book be?
What platform will you use to format and publish your book?
· I don’t have any particular suggestions on which platform to use. You must research which one works best for you. There are some do it yourself and that is certainly a money saver. Just remember you must be your own editor, format person, publisher, etc. If you are seeking a publisher, make sure you check out their previous work. Read through a book they have published. Do your homework.
How will you promote your book?
· Some of us can be great writers but that does not necessarily hold true when it comes to promoting. Social media, your websites are great places to start. Also, you can seek some of the internet radio shows and request a guest slot to share your journey.
The journey to writing and publishing a book can be overwhelming. If you are feeling overwhelmed at the process, take one step at a time and focus on that. First step focuses only on the writing of the book. That, in itself, will take some time so pour your energy into telling your story. Once you have completed it, do not feel rushed to begin the publication process. You may want to take a while to review and sit with your writings just to be sure you have expressed all that you wish to express. Once you have done that, you can then begin the journey to publishing your story. Do so with boldness. Do so without wondering how it will be received. Just that fact that you published, is something to celebrate. Embrace the journey!
I am Paula G Voice! I am a sagacious independent lifestyle influencer. I am embracing my own journey and sharing experiences along the way. I am challenging dreamers to do the same by breathing life into their deferred dreams and living out the reality! It is never too late to embrace your journey and live your dreams! Visit Paula’s Blog at www.paulagvoice.com for the full journey.
We all have a book inside of us. What is your story?
When you look back over your life, you realize your journey is worth writing about
Write! Just write! Don’t worry about grammar, sentence structure, thought process, flow, etc., just write. That is the first step.